Saturday, August 21, 2010

Are steel cases used for ammo annealed?

Wolf - Barnaul - Golden Tiger - Brown Bear and many others use steel cases for making cartridges, are those steel cases annealed in order to make them soft and/or pliable like brass cases are?Are steel cases used for ammo annealed?
based on what Ive seen out of a Mini 14 I dont think the cases are annealed. I get mouth spilts a few cases out of of 100


As dirty as the chamers of my guns get with the cheap steel case I thing the case neck doesnt expand like soft brass or annealed steel would either.Are steel cases used for ammo annealed?
I have no definitive answer, although i have often wondered this myself, a star for your question!





I can only assume that they anneal, or use a mild alloy in cartridge cases in order to keep them soft.





I hope someone answers this who knows for sure.
I don't believe they are for the simple reason that you cannot reload a steel case. They are strictly shoot and discard. If they were annealed to keep them softer it seems that you would be able to reload them at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment