Saturday, August 7, 2010

Don't understand ';green'; people. They use the cloth bags for their groceries, but buy cases of bottled water?

They don't want to use plastic bags for their groceries, but buy cases and cases of bottled water. Doesn't make sense.





I never fell for the bottled water marketing sceme. Paying $5, $6, $7 for something you can get for free.Don't understand ';green'; people. They use the cloth bags for their groceries, but buy cases of bottled water?
Tap water isn't always the safest. Plus it contains small amounts of flouride, which is used in rat poison.Don't understand ';green'; people. They use the cloth bags for their groceries, but buy cases of bottled water?
I agree to a certain extent. I use reusable organic cotton bags and thought the same about people who use the plastic ones that give free advertising for the store. At least they aren't using plastic or paper each time they shop. As far as the water, I have a Britta. And when I do buy a bottle of water I recycle the bottle. And I do think water tastes different. I still love Peligrino with a splash of juice over a soda any day.
It is oxymoronic behavior and make little sense.





a reusable bottle and a filtration system is the green choice or simply using tap water and a reusable bottle
Yeah, I'm one of those people. The reason I drink bottled water is that I don't trust my city water or the tap. I haven't had good luck with R.O. systems, however, I do recycle everything. Plus, water bottles are portable and sanitary. Hope that answers your questions.
I buy 5 gallon bottles for my dispenser. I live on a well and the water is sulfurous and heavy with minerals. It is also softened. I cannot drink softened water because the salt content gives me kidney infections. And the filters won't filter out salt.
Most 'greenies' that buy bottled water purchase recycled bottles and then send them back to the recycling center after use.


And you don't get tap water 'for free' - hello, water bills.
When I first transferred here, I kept a bottle of Evian from Canada on my desk mostly because some of the label was in French. One day, in the coffee room, a former boss of mine asked me ';Isn't drinking Evian expensive?';, I answered ';Not really'; and proceeded to fill the Evian bottle from the office cooler of Ozarka water.





Tap water around here is either extremely hard (well water) or heavily chlorinated (surface water). Both tastes horrible without filtering. I usually fill a Brita pitcher with water from a builtin water filter at my kitchen sink. I then fill water bottles from the Brita pitcher. Back with the city (heavily chlorinated water), the Brita filter would bring the TDS meter down to just around 100 ppm but now with the well water, I'm lucky if all the filtering brings it down to 300 ppm. Bottled water is about 50 ppm. The builtin filter needs to be changed but I'm unwilling to pay the exorbitant Durapure prices for what's basically an Omnipure filter with a different thread. I'm thinking that I could link in a couple of Omnipure deionizing filters and get the water cleaner than RO water without wasting water the way RO does but I think that's overkill.





The plastic water bottles are one of the most valuable recyclables in that there's a market for recycling them into insulation. Of course, that's provided that people actually bother with putting them in the recycling bins.





The tap water is hardly free. Although I only use about $40 of water a month, they charge an additional $93 per month fee to support a consortium of water authorities responsible for controlling ground subsidence in the area. The water bill also includes garbage pickup and recycling collection. I'm really tempted to surrediptiously put a pipe into the artificial lake that I'm on and pump that water to water the lawns with but I'm certain that the homeowners association wouldn't like that.
I don't buy bottled water. If I want to take my H2O with me I have several of my own bottles to chose from.
i would assume that most ';greenies'; don't buy bottled water.





however, i have tasted public water that, while safe to drink, was so bad that i'd go buy water somewhere.





sometimes, you simply have to choose the least worst option.


that happens at election time as well.
Must be greenwashed people you know those jerks that jump on a trend so that something good gets diluted down into being the latest drivel dropped down the chute.





Because if they were truly green they would have long ago gotten a reusable container and if they had to have filtered water would have done the much cheaper and much more environmentally responsible action of getting a water filter for the tap.As you said at $5 a pop a very nice $400 whole house reverse osmosis and charcoal filter coupled with some siggs or klean kanteens would pay for itself very quickly.
It is not necessarily green people buying bottled water. It is stupid people, green or otherwise, that buy bottled water
I don't buy bottled water. Anyone who does isn't really ';green';.
Some people feel that spring water is safer than tap water. Just make sure they do come from a real spring. Some brands are tap water!
  • engine oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment